The Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Ardmore, Oklahoma was organized between the years of 1889-1891 (an exact date is not known), under the leadership of the Rev. Cornelius N. Moore, assisted by Rev. J.E. Banks. The church had about seven members: Jeff Phillips, Mandie Hamilton, Lizzie Abbett, Laura Hunt, Wallace Hunt, Minnie York, and Mrs. Bell (first name unknown). This church was purchased from Charlie Bruce, located in the Northeast part of town. The size was a 10’ x 14’ building. After being at this location for several years, the property was sold to a railroad company, then a lot on “C” Street S.E., was purchased. During this time up to 1907, Rev. White was pastor at Mount Zion with a membership of approximately 92 members. Later, the pastor and members exchanged the “C: street location for the present site, located on 1st Avenue and “F” Street Southeast. On this land a building was built large enough to accommodate the congregation. Between the years of 1907-1911, Rev. Perkins was called to a church in Kansas. Rev. Claybourne became the pastor of the church for a short time during this period. In the latter part of 1911. The church called Rev. A. L. Russell who in 1914 rebuilt the church to hold more than 250 people.
In 1934 under the pastorship of Rev. D.C. Hannah, Mount Zion began to progress and become an outstanding church that was recognized in all district, state, and national meetings. Mount Zion was host church to the Oklahoma State Sunday School and Baptist Training Union Congress in 1945 and 1952. In 1955 Rev. Hannah felt he had accomplished his work at Mount Zion and offered his resignation. He had served 21 years and 6 months. His labor and service will always be remembered in the hearts of Mount Zion members.
In March 1956 Rev. E.C. Beatty accepted the call to pastor Mount Zion. Mount Zion made great progress under the leadership and loving, tender guidance of Reverend and Sister Beatty. By January 1957 the church was completely debt free.The parsonage and church were repaired and painted, and all of the choirs in the church experienced growth. Usher Boards and the Progressive Club had been organized and did much in aiding financially. The Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, and other auxiliaries also experienced significant growth. The need for expannsion was becoming greater each week Mount Zion gathered for worship. The old edfice was demolished and a new brick edifice was built. After the new edifice was built in 1975 construction began to add an Annex; the Annex was completed by 1976.
For 33 years, Rev. E. C. Beatty led Mount Zion through the Holy Spirit preaching and reaching. During Rev. Beatty’s years at Mount Zion, we were hosts to the Oklahoma State Convention numerous times; he served as Moderator of the Chickasaw District and an officer of the State and National Church Workers. Rev. Beatty helped establish, organize, and taught at the Ardmore Branch of the Oklahoma School of Religion. The Lord called Rev. E.C. Beatty home on October 25, 1989, from labor to reward.
On the fourth Sunday in December 1989, Mount Zion was led to call the Rev. Larry B. Williams. Rev. Williams accepted “the call” as Mount Zion’s pastor and was installed on March 11, 1990. Rev. Williams, a biblical scholar, teacher, and prayer warrior came to Mount Zion to lead, teach, and to serve. During Rev. Williams’s tenure as pastor to Mount Zion, numerous programs were established such as: church tape ministry, annual fall revival, scholarship fund, senior citizen’s annual Christmas outing, church improvements, church accounting procedures were revised, a new van purchased, and three deacons were ordained. In April 1995, Rev. Williams was led to accept a call to pastor a church in Kansas City.